The National Youth Service Corps on Wednesday announced the suspension of the ongoing orientation for the 2020 Batch A corps members due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The NYSC said corps members would be posted to commence their primary assignments immediately, noting that the coronavirus scare had also led to the cancellation of the National Sports Festival.
This is just as corps members were observed in major motor parks in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, with their belongings and on their way home.
The Utako, Kubwa, Nyanya, and Zuba motor parks visited by our correspondent were flooded with corps members, some of whom confirmed that they were on their way home.
The NYSC in a statement noted that thecorps members would be invited back to the orientation camps when the situation improved.
The NYSC Director of Press and Public Relations, Mrs Adenike Adeyemi, said, “Sequel to the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic, which led to the cancellation of the National Sports Festival, the management of the National Youth Service Corps scheme wishes to announce the suspension of the ongoing orientation course for the 2020 Batch ‘A’ Stream 1 corps members.
“Therefore, the corps members shall be posted to commence their primary assignments forthwith, while they shall be invited back to the orientation camps when the situation improves, just like it happened a few years ago when the nation was confronted by the Ebola virus threat.
“The management wishes to state that no corps member of camp official has contracted the virus.”
One of the corps members at the Zuba park, who gave her name as Idiat Ahmed, said she had visited her place of primary assignment earlier in the day and the next plan was to return home.
“As of Tuesday evening, we had already been informed that the camp orientation had being called off. It was painful; it disrupted a lot of plans. But we have been paid and some people have also visited their PPAs. I am on my way home to Lokoja,” she said.